Video File Won't Load in WSL2

Hi Alex,
Great work!

I installed the brainframe server using Ubuntu 20 WSL2 on windows with docker desktop. The installation was successful. Then I run the brainfraom client (windows), the connection via localhost to brainfraim was successful.

However, when I try to add stream with my webcam, it failed. Also, I try to load the Mp4 file it also failed.

Can you assist on this matter?

Thanks.

Hi gkomix,

Thank you for reaching out, and for trying out BrainFrame! Itā€™s great to hear from our users.

I installed the brainframe server using Ubuntu 20 WSL2 on windows with docker desktop. The installation was successful. Then I run the brainfraom client (windows), the connection via localhost to brainfraim was successful.

Unfortunately, WSL/WSL2 is not officially supported by Aotu, so there may be more bugs or issues that Aotu doesnā€™t know about, or know how to solve. The easiest thing to do is to install an Ubutu 20.04 VM, or dual-boot Ubuntu 20.04, and run BrainFrame natively on the OS. This is the most supported path, and will lead to good results.

With that said, Iā€™ll try my best to help!

However, when I try to add stream with my webcam, it failed.

This is expected. I donā€™t believe that WSL2 has access to hardware devices on the host machine such as webcams. Hence, the Server wonā€™t be able to connect to the device.

Also, I try to load the Mp4 file it also failed.

Okay, thatā€™s a bit odd! Could you send me the logs? Just run this command, and send me the logs_for_alex.txt file.

brainframe compose logs > logs_for_alex.txt

Cheers!

Hi,

I installed the brainframe server in Ubuntu 20 using VMware version 16. The server is able to run. I also installed the client. However, when I upload the license key, it shows that the brainframe server is unable to access the internet. Attached below is the screenshot. You can see the browser is able to browse the website. But the brainframe server cannot access the internet.

Could you assist on this matter? Thanks.

BTW, my OS had problem with the docker desktop and my previous setup on WSL 2 cannot run anymore. Thus, I am unable to retrieve the log file info.

However, when I upload the license key, it shows that the brainframe server is unable to access the internet.

Thatā€™s interestingā€¦ The server only checks once to validate a license. Could you try restarting the server and applying the license again? If it fails again, please send me the logs.

Restarting the server

brainframe compose down && brainframe compose up -d

Sending Logs

brainframe compose logs > logs-for-forum.txt

Thank you!

Iā€™ve copy-pasted my answer from the OpenVisionCaspules github issue you created here:

1. I will try using Virtual Box VM run Ubuntu OS on Windows. Just to confirm, the brainframe does not required GPU rite? Because VM the VirtualBox VM does not has access to GPU hardware.

BrainFrame does not require GPU. However, if you load capsules that require GPU, they will run very slowly without GPU!

Look at the Hardware section of the Capsules Downloads Page, and look for capsules that donā€™t list GPU. Those will work fine in a CPU only enviornment :blush:

1. The docker desktop on my PC stop running. Thus, I cannot retrieve the brainframe log file. Is there other way to retrieve the log file without running brainframe?

Thereā€™s no need for BrainFrame to be runnning, the logs are handled by docker/docker-compose. Running brainframe compose logs > logs.txt will work as long as docker and docker-compose are installed.

I tested the forum, it appears it works fine? Letā€™s continue the conversation there! :blush:

Hi,
The brainframe-client can run already after solving the networking issue with vmware.

Webcam Test:
I connected a webcam to the computer and access via VMware. The VM Ubuntu OS detected the webcam and shown /dev/Video0 and /dev/Video1. I tested with cheese webcam software and it can display the webcam view. However, when I try to add the webcam stream using brainframe-client, it failed. The following is the screenshot. Is the client can work with webcam connect thru VM?

Video File Test
I added two video files (vehicles passing on the road) streams using brainframe-client and it can be loaded and play the videos. I tried to add capsules (CPU only) such as

1. Tracker Vehicle Iou
  2. Classifier Vehicle Color Openvino
  3. Calculator Object Speed
    However, there are no detection and tracking shown. I also tried to add a line but nothing happened. Refer the picture below. Could you recommend the settings to make it work? Thanks.

Hi @gkomix,

Iā€™m glad to hear you got the video file working.

The VM Ubuntu OS detected the webcam and shown /dev/Video0 and /dev/Video1. I tested with cheese webcam software and it can display the webcam view. However, when I try to add the webcam stream using brainframe-client, it failed. The following is the screenshot. Is the client can work with webcam connect thru VM?

Thatā€™s interesting! One thing about BrainFrame is that it checks available webcams on startup only (or rather, docker doesā€¦). Could you do the following to debug this issue?

1. Stop BrainFrame via brainframe compose down
  2. plug in your webcams
  3. check with cheese that they are working
  4. Start BrainFrame via brainframe compose up
  5. Try adding the webcams again via the client

I added two video files (vehicles passing on the road) streams using brainframe-client and it can be loaded and play the videos. I tried to add capsules (CPU only) such as

1. Tracker Vehicle Iou
  2. Classifier Vehicle Color Openvino
  3. Calculator Object Speed
    However, there are no detection and tracking shown. I also tried to add a line but nothing happened. Refer the picture below. Could you recommend the settings to make it work? Thanks.

This is an issue of capsule configuration. For more information read this post for more information.

To fix this issue, you need to load capsules that are capable of detecting vehicles. The Tracker Vehicle can only track vehicles, not detect them. The Classifier Vehicle Color can only classify the color of a vehicle, not detect vehicles.

Hereā€™s a capsule configuration that will work:

Hi Alex,
Thanks, I manage to get the webcam running and the bounding boxes are shown.

1 Like